Are arch-rivals Iran and Saudi Arabia concerned about US plans to further expand the Largest Military Base in the Middle East? The US and Qatar are planning to further expand American footprints and Military presence at the al-Udeid air base in Qatar, which already is the largest military base in the Middle East.
The two sides laid the foundation stone for expanding the al-Udeid air base, located 35 kilometers from Doha, according to the Qatar News Agency.
- Qatar Offers USA To Make Permanent Base at Al-Udeid Air Base
- Tehran Accuses US of Trying to Topple the Iranian Government
The plan includes “the building barracks and service buildings to maintain collective defence efforts, as well as enhancing the quality of life of the personnel deployed at the airbase,” it said. The press report stated that the expansion project “accentuates Doha’s commitment to intensifying its defence ties with the United States.”
“Qatar, along with its strategic ally, the United States, is working to develop a strategy for further enhancing bilateral and defence relations, which includes the addition of al-Udeid Air Base to the list of US permanent bases,”. The al-Udeid Air Base houses roughly 10,000 US troops, as well as fighter jets, arms, and ammunition.
The expansion project commenced amid a diplomatic impasse between Qatar and Saudi Arabia-led nations. While Saudi might be concerned by growing partnership between US and Qatar, while Iran is sceptical about continued US presence in the Middle East, which threatens Iran’s security.
More News at EurAsian Times
- Indian Military Base in Sabang can Strangle China at the Strait of Malacca
- Delhi’s $100M Gift a Bribe for Indian Military Base in Seychelles?
- Is Saudi-UAE Alliance Working to Weaken the Gulf Cooperation Council?
- From Asia to Africa, India-Japan Defence Partnership Aggressively Countering China
- Oman-UAE Relations Deteriorate; Muscat Warns Against Testing Patience