The publisher of Stars and Stripes, the taxpayer-funded news outlet affiliated with the US Armed Forces, has stepped down after reporting on poor conditions aboard USS Abraham Lincoln.
Max D Lederer Jr, the longtime publisher of Stars and Stripes, resigned from his post citing disagreements with the Pentagon’s leadership.
“I have thought a great deal about the right time to step aside, and I have concluded that this is it,” he said in a memo to staff, announcing his resignation after years of service at the organization. “I leave with real pride in what we have accomplished together and with complete confidence in what you will accomplish next.”
Lederer said that he decided to resign because it was evident that the Defense Department’s objectives for the organization differed in “fundamental ways” from his leadership philosophy and “understanding of the value and mission of Stars and Stripes.”
Stars and Stripes has a history of independence from both government and military leadership, despite receiving some funding from the Defense Department.
The publication has covered the military’s own shortcomings over the years, such as subpar housing, issues in the barracks, and claims of abuse in military daycare facilities. It has also published articles criticizing military leadership and policy.
Max D. Lederer Jr., the longtime publisher of Stars and Stripes, announced his retirement Tuesday, ending a three-decade career at the organization amid Pentagon efforts to expand oversight over its operations and content.
He was the second full-time civilian to hold the… pic.twitter.com/leAHLoMGY5
— Stars and Stripes (@starsandstripes) August 18, 2026
The resignation comes days after the Stars and Stripes reported on deteriorating conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier, which was on an extended deployment in the Middle East.
The publication reported on a major mental health crisis aboard the carrier amid worsening living conditions earlier this month.
“Interviews with active-duty sailors and family members, along with dozens of public social media comments and posts by crew members, describe sailors struggling with exhaustion and declining morale, including reports of suicidal thoughts and at least one instance where a crew member was prevented from jumping overboard,” it underlined in a comprehensive report.
This explosive disclosure triggered a storm and put the Pentagon under scrutiny, with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao, and Central Command (CENTCOM) leadership dismissing much of the coverage as misrepresented or dishonest while acknowledging some persisting challenges of extended deployments.
Several analysts and US lawmakers have since noted that the US Navy’s carrier fleet is stretched by the war with Iran, which began in February 2026.
The situation has raised concerns about the Navy’s limitations in a protracted asymmetrical conflict, drawn attention to resupply issues in an area where US military installations have been bombarded, and added to mounting indications that the military is overstretched, with experts warning that this could undermine US deterrence elsewhere.
It is worth noting that while there is no evidence that the Stars and Stripes’ publisher has resigned due to the controversy sparked by this particular reporting, the timing does not merely seem coincidental, and observers believe that the latest issue, coupled with a sustained period of differences with the Pentagon, may have prompted the resignation.
On his part, Lederer has said he attributed his decision to growing differences with the Pentagon, especially in the wake of an overhaul in Stars and Stripes.
In an interview with his publication, Lederer expressed his disapproval of the modernization initiatives that the Pentagon had outlined in March. He was especially opposed to digitizing all printed materials, as it would make them less accessible to serving personnel.
Furthermore, he said he believed the organization should expand into other technological domains, such as artificial intelligence, but felt out of sync with “the pace and the direction” that the Pentagon is increasingly setting.
Notably, Lederer’s resignation comes four months after the Pentagon dismissed Jacqueline Smith, the ombudsman responsible for protecting editorial freedom. At the time, Smith stated in a column that “no one should be surprised that they’re kicking out the one person charged by Congress with protecting Stars and Stripes’ editorial independence.”
Not just that, Erik Slavin, the editor of Stars and Stripes, alluded to difficulties with the military leadership last month, stating that editorial independence from the Pentagon, which supplies roughly 65% of the publication’s budget, would be the “foxhole” he would be willing to die in.
“We need to be able to provide independent news to service members,” he said. “If we can’t do that, if we were turned into something other than that, if we were public relations? Yeah, that’s the foxhole.”
Notably, the Pentagon has been tightening its control over the publication in what appears to be an attempt to dilute criticism.
For instance, its Stars and Stripes overhaul initiative stipulates that content must adhere to “good order and discipline,” a term taken from the Uniform Code of Military Justice. In fact, Sean Parnell, the senior spokesman for the Pentagon, stated earlier this year that the organization must “refocus” on “woke distractions that siphon morale.”
Moreover, Stars and Stripes would be required to “focus on warfighting, weapons systems, fitness, lethality, survivability, and ALL THINGS MILITARY” and stop using Reuters and the Associated Press, two wire agencies that have argued with the Pentagon and White House over press access, the Defense Department has ordered.
USS Abraham Heading Home
The USS Abraham Lincoln is on its way back home following an extended nine-month deployment.
The Nimitz-class carrier, with 5,000 sailors and Marines on board, left San Diego in November 2025 and was supposed to sail for seven months. However, its deployment in the Middle East to support combat operations during Operation Epic Fury and, subsequently, to enforce the blockade of the Iranian coastline extended its duration.
Earlier this month, reports noted that the mental health crisis among the crew has become so intense that some sailors even tried to jump from the carrier. The family members of the “exhausted” personnel claimed that there was a food shortage, adding that damaged showers and toilets have exacerbated terrible health and unhygienic circumstances.
The Trump administration shot down all the criticism and downplayed the reports of a crisis unfolding aboard the carrier.
Dismissing the reports of deteriorating conditions, President Donald Trump claimed he had third-hand reports that the USS Abraham Lincoln was “beautifully maintained.” “The Lincoln has been out there for a period of time – a good period of time – but over the years, we’ve had them out there much longer,” Trump said, citing his interaction with a retired admiral.
Nonetheless, the explosive reports and resulting criticism forced a rethink, and the USS George Washington operating in the Indo-Pacific was ordered to relieve USS Abraham Lincoln from duty.
Not just that, the commander of CENTCOM (Central Command), Adm. Brad Cooper, visited the crew of the Lincoln on August 14 to herald their return home, as he noted in an op-ed written in The Wall Street Journal the next day. “I delivered the words every deployed sailor and Marine longs to hear: ‘You have delivered a performance for the ages, and now you are going home,’” Cooper wrote in his article.
As it turns out, US officials have told the media that the ship has been sailing for a few days and is expected to return to San Diego in a few weeks. Meanwhile, the USS George Washington arrived in the region on August 19 to take over the deployment.
- Contact the author at sakshi.tiwari13 (at) outlook.com
- Follow EurAsian Times on Google News




