Unidentified gunmen shot dead three female media workers in Afghanistan’s eastern Nangarhar province on Tuesday, officials confirmed.
three female media workers were killed in #Afghanistan ???? Nangarhar province. It’s pretty clear that enemies of Afghan people wish to subvert the peace process at the very outset. Supporters of peace will have to defend the process. pic.twitter.com/9iwjptfklw
— Ali Wazir Fan's (@AliWazirFans) March 2, 2021
Eyewitnesses told Anadolu Agency that the incident took place in the downtown Jalalabad city, the provincial capital, during the evening rush-hour when the female media workers were heading home from their office.
Confirming the incident, the provincial police command’s spokesman Fareed Khan said all three victims were associated with the local Enekas Radio Television. He said the area was cordoned off and an investigation was launched into the attack.
No individual or group has so far claimed the attack.
The same media network lost its prominent female journalist Malalay Maiwand in a similar attack in December 2020.
Maiwand along with her driver was heading to her office in Jalalabad on Dec. 10 last year when armed attackers shot her dead, according to a statement released after the incident by the Nangarhar governor’s office. The armed attackers fled the site of the attack while both victims died on the spot. There was also no immediate claim of responsibility for that attack.