The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) has rejected the Middle East peace plan which was proposed by US President Donald Trump alongside Isreali PM Benjamin Netanyahu.
The OIC in a statement said that it “calls on all member states not to engage with this plan or to cooperate with the US administration in implementing it in any form”.
The meeting of the OIC came two days after the Arab League rejected Trump’s so-called “deal of the century”, saying: “It does not meet the minimum rights and aspirations of Palestinian people.”
The OIC said in a statement on Twitter on Sunday that its “open-ended executive committee meeting” at the level of foreign ministers would “discuss the organisation’s position after the US administration announced its peace plan”.
With member states from four continents, the OIC is the second-largest intergovernmental organisation in the world after the United Nations, with a collective population reaching more than 1.8 billion.
Earlier, Saudi Arabia had blocked an Iranian delegation from an OIC Meeting in Jeddah. “The government of Saudi Arabia has prevented the participation of the Iranian delegation in the meeting to examine the ‘deal of the century’ plan at the headquarters of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation,” ministry spokesperson Abbas Mousavi said, according to Fars news agency.
US President Donald Trump had earlier unveiled what he termed as ‘Deal of the Century’ with Isreali counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu. The deal is aimed at solving the long-standing Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
The plan was warmly welcomed by Israel’s prime minister, who called it a “historic day” for the Jewish state. The plan, Trump said, proposes a four-year freeze of Israeli development in the area eyed for a future Palestinian state.
Iran denounced Donald Trump’s so-called “Deal of the century” and instead termed it as a “treason of the century.”
“The Zionist regime is an occupying regime and the only solution to solve the Palestinian crisis is a referendum among all main residents of the Palestinian land and such vicious plans are doomed to failure,” Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Mousavi had stated. Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif also dismissed the US president’s “delusional” plan, stressing that it will be “dead on arrival.”